Offset Your Footprint
Corporations, institutions, and organizations can purchase credits to offset your climate footprint.
Establishing Your Annual Climate Footprint
The first step in offsetting your climate footprint is to understand its full scope. (If you are not interested in offsetting your footprint, you can still invest in solutions). The Registry's comprehensive climate accounting approach provides the most complete picture of your organization’s climate footprint ever available. Here’s how:
- In addition to annual greenhouse gases, the footprint includes all other contributing climate pollutants and factors, as well as accumulating emissions, based on the latest IPCC consensus climate science.
- The assessment can zero in on specific time periods, for instance, from now to 2030, or from now to 2050.
This comprehensive approach sets you on a path to greater mitigation opportunities and success.
Purchase Offset Credits
Our Registry is unique in offering two levels of credits: Default Credits and True Value Credits.
- Default Credits (Level 1) — Default Credits are issued to projects that can successfully demonstrate the reduction or removal of greenhouse gases. Credits calculations are based on tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalents, using the 100-year global warming potential (GWP-100). In other words, the climate effect of GHGs is amortized 100 years in the future. This conventional approach has been widely used since the late 1990s.
- True Value Credits (Level 2) — True Value Credits are calculated based on updated, scientifically peer-reviewed climate accounting protocols built on the latest IPCC climate science. True Value Credits not only provide a more complete accounting of the benefits of reducing or removing well-mixed GHGs, but also include high-potency short-lived climate pollutants (SLCPs) and other climate forcers, such as changes in albedo, not addressed under Default Credits. True Value Credits are issued in tonnes of carbon dioxide forcing equivalents reduced or removed in a given year. For additional transparency, the future value is also calculated for fixed time horizons from project onset date to 2030 and to 2050, as well as 100 years in the future, similar to GWP-100. This level of precision and transparency benefits both buyers and sellers of credits and helps maintain our focus on near-term as well as long-term climate mitigation goals.
All credits are sold by vintage year -- that is, the year for which they are relevant.
1. Contact the Registry
Complete a short online Application Form so that we can learn more about your interests.
2. Review Manual and Agreement
Review the Project Proponent Manual, which explains the process, then review and sign the Registry Service Agreement.
3. Establish Your Climate Footprint
Provide data and documents to determine your organization’s Climate Footprint, which will include existing carbon footprint documentation if applicable.
4. View Available Credits
Visit the Registry Portal to review available estimated and verified credits for purchase.
5. Purchase Offset Credits
Select available credits, and retire credits to obtain offset value.
Calculate Your Climate Footprint
Your climate footprint is your annual contribution to global RF, based on your organization’s activities, use of energy and resources, supply chains, and products. This includes Scopes 1, 2 and 3.